Saturday 17 January 2015

BEING A WOMAN SHOULD NOT BE BARRIER TO POLITICAL CARRIER - OSUN WEST LP SENATORIAL CANDIDATE

Mrs Romoke Edu Ogunlana, a former commissioner in the Osun State Civil Service Commission during the administration of former Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola, is the candidate of the Labour Party for Osun West Senatorial District in the forthcoming National Assembly elections. In this interview with OLUWOLE IGE, she speaks about her ambition, involvement of women in politics and other issues. Excerpts:
What informed your ambition to represent Osun West Senatorial District in the National Assembly?
My ambition was borne out of my passion for service delivery. I was in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for 10 years and I have participated in election processes. I have watched delivery of democracy dividends and it has not been what I would see as able representation. So, my decision to contest the election into the Senate was borne out of my passion for service delivery to the people of my constituency by way of quality representation.
What will be your focus if you win this election?
My focus will definitely be in the area of poverty alleviation. There would be a poverty alleviation scheme which would be in segments. One would be for women and youth employment. There would also be lobbying with the Federal Government on the establishment of industries in Osun State generally. Being the senatorial leader, I have discovered that our people are industrious. They only need a good environment and encouragement from the government. In this regard, my priority would be in the area of poverty reduction among our people. I would devote my time to lobby for anything that would tackle poverty, through the empowerment of my people. Osun is one of the poorest states in the federation. I think anyone that would be representing the state in the legislative chambers should be worried about the poverty rate in the state.
Politics in Nigeria is seen as a men’s turf and there is the general belief that women can’t really make it in the game except they make certain compromises. What is your take on this?
First of all, I see myself as a human being, regardless of my gender. I sympathise with my people because I know the pains they have. A number of factors are responsible for the lot of the womenfolk in politics. Discrimination and marginalisation against women in politics did not start now. It has always been there. But we have to start sustaining active involvement of women in politics. I don’t see being a woman as a problem in politics and I don’t have to sell my body because of ambition. For instance, if a woman that sells pepper decides to be promiscuous, there is nothing you can do about it. The fact that a woman is in politics does not make her promiscuous. It is your person that matters. If you don’t value your body, regardless of the profession you practise, you will do it. Even if you are married and satisfied with your husband and you have a good job, if promiscuity is in you, you will exhibit it. It is all about the individual.
How do you hope to juggle family and politics if you become a senator?
I am relying on the grace of God. I have always been at the vanguard of service to my people. I was the Social Secretary, National Association of Ikire Students, University of Ibadan branch, 1994. I was a member of the Students Representative Council (SRC) in the University of Ibadan and was the treasurer of the students’ union. That should be 1995. I served with the Civil Service Commission in Osun State. I have always been in public service and my family is used to it. I don’t think there is going to be any problem combining my responsibility as a wife and mother and my political career. I enjoy the understanding and support of my family.
It can safely be said that you reached political limelight through the PDP. Why the choice of Labour Party now to actualise your senatorial ambition?
You know that political parties are always having one problem or another. And when you try to resolve an issue and you cannot reach a compromise, you might need to consider another platform, since there is no room for independent candidacy in the country, to actualise your ambition. That was exactly what happened.
What are your chances against candidates like Senator Olasunkanmi Akinlabi of the PDP and former governor Isiaka Adeleke of the APC?
There is a common Yoruba expression that, ‘ko si obo ni Idanre mo,’ meaning, there are no more monkeys (fools) in Idanre. Even the most gullible monkeys are now wise. What the people care for now is service delivery. It is not about exotic cars or money but what you can deliver. Both of them are my leaders and they cannot deliver what I will deliver to the people of my senatorial district. I don’t want to sound immodest but they cannot empathise with the women that are suffering in Osun West Senatorial District. I have been living in this state for the past 15 years. Senator Akinlabi and Alhaji Adeleke, for the past 10 years, have been in Abuja. They only come home once in a while. I know the pains that a woman in Ile Ogbo who sells fish goes through and I know the anguish that the youth in Iwo riding okada experience. The pattern of education in Osun State is nothing to write home about. It is in me. It is not something somebody would come and encourage me to do. I have the passion to help our people. A woman would deliver 10 times more than a man. Women are compassionate. I know that I have to give back to the society because as a representative, you are standing in for people to do what they could have done for themselves if they were in the same shoes. Senate is a place for service. So, I don’t consider the candidates of other political parties as mountains that cannot be surmounted. I have a lot of respect for both of them, but they cannot deliver what I am capable of delivering. I am in a better position to give my people the quality representation they deserve.
Poverty is a major problem in the society. How do you intend to address it in your senatorial district if you win the election?
You know that legislators don’t have executive powers. Lawmakers are more or less facilitators. Their primary assignment is to make laws and debate on issues. They don’t have budgetary provisions for infrastructures but they can lobby. You cannot alleviate poverty among the people if you don’t build their capacity. It has always been the trend among our legislators to come home and buy motorcycles and cars for the people. This approach doesn’t solve their problems. If you teach me what to do and probably get me a credit facility to establish a small business, that is a potent way to tackle poverty. I believe in building people rather than buying them motorcycles. It is better to establish skills acquisition centres for our youths and encourage farmers by providing them with equipment that will help their produce.
Do you foresee any challenges to your ambition?
The popular saying is that anything that is good is not for one person alone. Senator Akinlabi and Alhaji Adeleke want the same seat. So, what more challenge can I have? I know that I am winning that seat because our people know what they want now. They are not interested in the fleet of cars anybody has but your antecedents and what you can do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment Here