Wednesday 7 August 2013

SALARY DEDUCTION FOR POLICE OFFICERS

Some policemen have raised the alarm over what they termed, arbitrary deductions
from their salaries.They alleged that the Mechanised Salary Section of the police
made unauthorised deductions of N5, 000 from their salaries.
It was learnt that the money was for the procurement of Fokas Savings and Loans Limited shares.
Some of the policemen, who spoke to newsmen said the scheme was dubious because they were
not informed about it, prior to the salary deduction.
They added that it was after the first deduction had been made that they were informed by their
superiors that the money would be deducted monthly until further notice.
A police inspector said, "Last week I received a text message from my bank notifying me that my
salary had been paid. However, I found out that N5, 000 had been deducted. It was a few days
later that we were given forms and we were then told that we had to buy shares compulsorily.
"How could the deductions have been made before I even filled the form? The police authorities
are leveraging on the fact that policemen cannot openly protest. The Inspector General of Police,
Mohammed Abubakar, must look into this."
Another policeman told newsmen that the scheme was not well planned, saying some of them
close to retirement should be left out.
He said, "I have been a policeman for 34 years and I am close to retirement. People like me
should have been left out from this scheme. I am already a member of the Nigeria Police
Cooperative Multipurpose Society.
A police corporal said, "N2,000 was deducted from the salaries of senior police officers while
N1,000 was deducted from the rank and file as compulsory contribution towards the World Police
and Fire Games in which Nigerian policemen will participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment Here